Jan 15, 2007

















TWO WEEKS LATE..SORRY


WATE News drew fire from a lawyer questioning their reporting ethics again. Rather than getting into the accusations I suggest you make friends with someone at the other news producing stations and see if they will show you the lawyer's letter. It was red hot!

Lots of questions about the expansion of WVLZ programming were in the wind late in December. The rumor was the kids at 1180 were going to lease some of the AM stations owned by Horne Broadcasting to give their shows more coverage. Then another rumor bubbled up that the folks at WVLZ were looking for a new place due to their current lease with the owners of 1180 was about to hit the expiration deadline. All we know is January 7th was the day the new lease with Horne was to have started and so far nothing has transpired. I kinda miss the old days when folks just bought stations, but heck I also miss the old days when I had a JOB on a station. LOL!

Rumors of Citadel (keeper of the keys at WIVK) selling to ABC were way off the mark. It looks like there is a better chance of Citadel BUYING ABC radio!

"Citadel Broadcasting has reportedly emerged as the front runner. The New York Times says that after entertaining several bids, Disney selected Citadel as the preferred bidder and entered into exclusive negotiations. Citadel, the nation's fifth-largest radio broadcaster, could purchase the company for nearly $3 billion. Sources told the Times that the deal could be closed within the next two weeks, but they cautioned that it's possible the talks could break down and another bidder could be chosen."

We do know that long time favorite WLIL in Lenoir City has changed hands. Remember the old days when they did commentary news and sold things people couldn't get rid of in yard sales? Heck of a fun community station back then, but the original owner passed and who knows what the future will bring? Details of the sale are:
WLIL/Lenoir City, TN Sold
BP BROADCASTERS, LLC is selling Classic Country
WLIL-A/LENOIR CITY, TN to DONALD P. FOWLER
for $500,000 cash.
The seller holds onto WKZX/LENOIR City

NOW for some fun junk! Got a great radio bud living in Florida who is always sending me blasts from the past concerning Knoxville radio. Just before Christmas this old line up from WNOX hit the cyber mail box!



WNOX line up from January '78...
6 Dr. Dave Dunaway
10 Phil Williams
2 Mike Beach
6 Scott McLeod
10 Larry Steel
2 Bill Beason

I know Bill Beason is still in the area, running a web radio station and doing voice work, Phil is over on News Talk and I got to do a "remember when" show with Mike Beach last month. I think Dr. Dave is up in Norris farming and I have no idea where Larry Steel or Scott McLeod is now.

Oh in 1978 WRJZ was two years old and just killing WNOX! Mornings found the New 62 pushing Claude Da Cat around and our night guy (John Boy of the now rich and famous John Boy and Billy) owned the market. WRJZ was the last winning AM to leave the building and until Rush came along most of the AM stations just tried to stay alive with gospel or country formats. It was another day and time and it sure was fun!

E mail me at wjonair1@aol.com with your thoughts or ideas and I will post them. If you wanta post here have at it. As always I never edit or ban anyone. This is NOT knoxviews.com; this is a wide open blog that welcomes ALL thoughts and ideas!

7 comments:

Brian said...

You're about a year late on the Citadel buying ABC deal, it closed last February:

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001958063

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060207/news_1b7disney.html

In addition to more places to air their programming, 1180 needs to look at other things to fill the hours, as ESPN radio will likely be replacing Fox Sports programming on 99.1/99.3/AM990 in July.

Anonymous said...

If WLIL sold for only 500k, you and I should have bought it, we could bring in 5 PD's...oh, that's what 15Q did.

I know the guy in the picture....that's THE GREASEMAN, correct?

Anonymous said...

Dave Dunaway is Ops Manager for Guaranty Broadcasting in Baton Rouge. I saw him right before I was relocating back to Knoxville.

Anonymous said...

nope, not Gman although I always remember his famious quote on MLK day!

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to a blog where you can download the attorney letter to WATE. (it's free)

Anonymous said...

I think that's Dave Young in the picture?

Anonymous said...

I miss the way radio use to be also.

I almost got in the business one time, back in the mid and late 80's, but changed my mind around 1990.

Now with the way things are today, I'm glad I didn't get in the business.

I would've loved to have worked in radio back in the 70's and 80's. Especially back when WNOX and WRJZ were big rivals.

Corporate Radio has ruined everything. It makes me sick!!!