Apr 5, 2011

HAPPY B DAY to 63 years of excitment




In total celebration of "Self" (its a radio thing) I
realize that 40+ out of my 63 years
have been spent in radio either on the air or bitching
about it!

The "Book" and trust me most older radio folks
are always going to write one, will cover
not just my career (stilted as it was) but
the total fun that was had by those of us who
never took the industry seriously but rather
used it to party, make a little money,
five finger discount countless records, CDs,
T shirts, dinner coupons, gas trades (I remember
drawing partial pay in total trade because
the stations let their sales managers do it and
they told me none of the suits were even remotely
concerned with that pesky income tax question) and
countless bar and hotel room tabs.

It was so much fun, even getting canned! No really,
getting fired followed a pattern of being the first out
when the engines were in flames and the pilot had already
hit the silk. Looking back, I can't remember a station
that told me to pack up my office, that is
even remotely successful today. Naturally I would LOVE
to believe rolling my head on a Thursday (to let staff know
you really hate someone be sure to fire them midweek)
was the reason those who canned me either ended up selling
advertisements for the Yellow Pages or leaning against a used
GM product on a hot Saturday doing the math on how many
sleds they had to sell to make the payment on the boat.
Truth was often the small
cadre of suites that asked
to see me when I got off the air, were
always gone within the year. Again, NOT because they
ran me off but simply because their current radio adventure
was collapsing around them months before they were forced to
pay off my contract and demand my key.


I know it sounds bitter, but trust me I
never was and never will be. I really had fun
and what they didn't know
was I would have paid them to have played in
their sand boxes. As for little things like
being able to afford food and brown whiskey
after being told I was no longer needed,
I was raised by a man who taught me never to
live above my means. That, coupled with a
great wife who was on tenure, made it easy to
either find another job or not. In fact it was
so easy to pick where and even if I wanted
to work that I was privileged to always stay
within 30 miles of where I was born! In those days
that was unheard of, most radio types kept
their box of jokes in the trunk of their
used car and the trailer hitch polished.
Best shut up or I will give away the "Book"
and the tens of (unfortunately my family has
passed or there would have been twenties) buyers
will have no reason to fork over the three bucks
and download it to their Kendle. Best just end by saying
happy birthday to my favorite person and
send out great karma to all those still
out their "chirping" away. Hang in there
and if things get tight remember you
can always bore folks with a blog!

No comments: